It has been a couple of weeks since the last PC patch for Horizon Zero Dawn. During this short break, Guerrilla Games has been able to hone in on even more crashing and freezing issues, potentially making this the patch that many have been waiting for.
In Patch 1.02, a few crashing issues were fixed, but even more have been squashed this week with Patch 1.03. This new update fixes GPU resource leaks, certain GPU-related hangs during gameplay and a number of other crashes caused by various gameplay elements – such as AI trying to aim at an invalid position, or sound obstruction in highly detailed areas.
Here are the patch notes:
- Crash Fixes
- Fixed a GPU resource leak which could build up over time and cause instability.
- Fixed a GPU hang that caused a crash that could occur when Asynchronous Compute was used.
- Fixed a crash when AI would try to aim at an invalid position.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when sound obstruction was calculated in highly detailed areas.
- Fixed a crash that would occur when moving the game to a monitor with different DPI settings while in the menu.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash on startup due to incorrect memory allocation.
- Fixed a GPU hang that would occur when the window was resized to a very small size.
- Fixed a progression issue where some players would remain a child and not transition to adult Aloy.
- Fixed an issue where snow deformation was not working correctly in the Frozen Wilds area.
- Fixed an issue where the Concentration skill could stop working.
- 4K Scaling – Fixed an issue where the game wouldn’t render at 4K properly on boot.
- Frame Rate Limiter – Improved Frame Rate Limiter functionality to be more accurate.
- Localization – Localized specific error messages.
- Windows Version Check – The game checks if Windows 10 Build 1809 or above is used (lower versions cause instability in DirectX 12).
- Minimum Spec Warning – Improved minimum spec warning message and options.
- Saving Issue Warning – Clarified text that is displayed when you do not have access to your My document folder or enough disk space.
- Player Profile Validation – The player profile
The known issues list includes an ‘out of memory’ error during the game optimisation process, graphics settings issues like HDR or Anistropic Filtering not working correctly and performance issues on specific combinations of hardware. There is no timeline for the next patch, but we should get another update in September.
KitGuru Says: Have many of you been playing Horizon Zero Dawn since it came out on PC? Have you encountered any issues during your time with it?